Tuesday, November 9, 2010

SSWAHS, Mr Dodds and his leadership style - a sychophant in the making?

Socrates again simply publishes the response of the complainant. Of course there has been no response from SSWAHS in general, or Ms Whalan in particular.


Ms Jan Whalan

Director of Corporate Services

SSWAHS

Locked Bag 7017

Liverpool BC 1871


31 December 2009


Dear Ms Whalan,

RE: Mr Peter Dodds

Thank you for your recent response to my letter of 16 October 2009 in which I directed comments to Mr Peter Dodds and Mr W M in respect of his reported statements about the referral of a patient to myself as a private practitioner.

To be blunt, I have to say that if Mr Dodds denies making any such statement to the staff of the Bowral Mental Health Service then the veracity of his denial is questionable. Also if the matter had been investigated by SSWAHS in any transparent and independent fashion I would have expected, at least, a conversation with the person conducting the investigation. The fact that I did not disclose the person or persons from whom I received the information about Mr Dodds’s statement is perhaps understandable given my recent experience of investigations by SSWAHS.

I will, however, state that the comments were made on a Tuesday morning when the rostered members of the Bowral Mental Health Team were present and in the company of Dr R W. As I understand it, it was Dr W who first made the suggestion that a particular client be referred to my practice. I suggest that the person responsible for investigating my original complaint revisit the matter and speak with staff other than person upon who the complaint is based.

Whilst I note the supposed NSW Health policy insists that the Mental Health Service has a ”long-standing practice of providing clients who require private sector services with the names of a range of clinicians who practise in a geographical area”, I strongly doubt that this is done without “commentary or opinion...... in relation to the skills of any of the clinicians listed”. If adherence to that NSW Health policy was the case why does Dr Angelo Virgona (SSWAHS) specifically refer his patients directly to individual private practitioners in the Bowral area, when other consultant psychiatrists employed by SSWAHS have been advised that they are not to do so?

I will contact Mr M for a copy of the list of private practitioners that is used by the Bowral Mental Health Team upon his return from leave.

Yours sincerely,

Kevin O’Neill

Psychologist and

Credentialed Mental Health Nurse